Thursday, October 25, 2012

LAST YEARS THANKSGIVING TABLE


Posted by PicasaWell this quite funny actually. How could I forgotten? Here I am once more using the same table scarf and place mats I used last year for Thanksgiving. The only thing difference is the napkins and the new centerpiece. Well I guess I like this old fashioned look. I have two sets of beautiful china one is a Wedgewood china service for 12 actually passed on to me from my dear aunt. But it seems to sit in the china cabinet as I prefer my simple country inexpensive mix. The other china set is my Mom's and I do use it at Christmas time as it is green and white and I remember many a holiday meal eating delicious food off those plates.
I have my menu planned and it is always basically the same. If I changed things up I am sure my family would not be pleased nor my hubby for that matter. Somethings are just meant to stay the same.
Every year I clip gorgeous looking thanksgiving recipes from magazines. But the recipes are never made. There is something to be said for making a meal you could make with your eyes closed. I think it really helps that you are not constantly referring to a recipe when it is such a busy day. And if your family is anything like mine, we are busy and loud. Everyone is talking at once and in and out of the kitchen, snacking or trying to be helpful but really just being in the way. So to say the least it is a busy and noisy scene so the simpler I can make it the better. 

I heard from my son Mike last night. He was in Nampa Idaho on his way back from Wyoming as he bought a snowmobile there. A long drive from Portland Oregon going straight through. He had been driving for 27 hours when we talked. He did have a buddy go with him so they did share some driving time. They had to stop he said as they were getting rather rummy. Well I would suppose so.
They will be home today at some point. A whirlwind trip down the interstate, through mountains, desert, snow and sleet.
My son has always been a guy that liked his toys. From a very young age...22 months actually when we got him his first tricycle and he ran to the Christmas tree and screamed HONDA. You see his father had a Honda dirt bike. So it all began. Today he has at this point two snowmobiles, three motorcycles  four mountain bikes and a speed boat. My heart goes out to Mom's that have sons like this. When he was young my heart was always in my throat.
He was always stretching himself to go faster or higher or farther or whatever it was.
I recall one time on a dirt bike he was practicing wheelies. Just what a Mother loves right? Anyhow he came in through the kitchen door while I was doing dishes and said come look I am getting so good at wheelies. Well of course out I go to see him perform. Here he comes roaring down our gravel road then up on his back tire sitting straight in the air then over backwards he goes........ooops. He is fine and  actually laughing while brushing himself off and I am running toward him my heart beating in my ears my dish towel streaming behind me like a flag. There are  dozens of stories I could tell. It is enough just to say he has had numerous concussions. Heaven help us all. 

Today is a perfect autumn day. After daylight came this morning we were surprised that the sky was blue no clouds. There is not even a hint of the wind we have had the past few days. This afternoon the temps have warmed into the 60's.
I am going to take a walk now. A short one as I have been going since six this morning and my achy back is starting to put me down. I do want at least a half hour walk though through the red and gold trees that line our streets. I just looked out and they are glittering in the sun. 
Out the door I go.  You should go too if your day is nice and just enjoy the great outdoors and breathe in the fresh fall air. 
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment