Sunday, July 13, 2014

A BIG PONDEROSA PINE AND ME

One of my favorite trees of all time. The ponderosa pine. I saw many on my recent trip to central Oregon. This photo was taken at the Metolius river in central Oregon in 2000. We camped in our motor home for a week in this wonderful campground. We took our bikes and rode a few times to the hatchery which was quite a long ride, fun going down the long hill and on the pavement I flew. I never had a fear of my mountain bike. It was not so fun on the way back up the hill but I was determined not to get off my bike and push, so I switched gears and kept moving. I was always a trouper on my bike keeping up with anyone. We also rode through Black Butte resort several times which was fun touring along the outback of the golf course on the biking trails. If you have never been to this great area you should as there is much to offer.

Well I need to get my thoughts back to Eugene. Today started off with a bang, literally. After hubby left for the job site I settled in my chair with a cup of tea and the Sunday paper. Then I saw a flash and lights blinked and then almost immediately the crash of thunder right overhead. This continued for a short while and then the storm moved away. But since then more storms have come near but not as close. For that I am thankful as they do scare me a bit I will admit.
When I was a young girl growing up on the farm a huge  storm came over while we were in the barn doing what I do not remember but we were all there my mother, father, and younger brother and myself. It was a distance back to the house and storm was right over us flashing and rumbling and striking the ground near the barn. I was so afraid as we had to stay put and hope the barn would not be hit. My heart was in my throat and I will always remember that day. But it was nothing as I found out later when I was a grown woman with children living in La Pine in central Oregon. The storms there are so severe we witnessed several trees struck down right beside our home and at one house we were renting a bolt of lightening hit a shed just adjacent to the house and that then started a tree on fire. I am telling you those strikes were so close it raised the hair on your arms and head and the air smelled metallic. I have had enough lightening to last me a lifetime.

I am so lazy today it is disgusting. I have accomplished nothing but tidying the house and taking a shower. I do not even need to think about dinner this evening as I made that luscious fattening quiche yesterday and there is still half left.  So we will have that with fresh green beans I picked up at the farm. I will simmer them, drain and put back in the pot with a pat of butter and drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice,  kosher salt and ground black pepper. Just simple my favorite way to have them.
I am going to bake something however today. I have not made a desert since the berry cobbler for my hubby's birthday that I whipped on our little getaway. I enjoy baking and keep a well stocked pantry with baking ingredients. I did pick up some granny smith apples while at the farm so I am thinking perhaps I will use them in some fashion, a crisp, or cobbler or apple cake or fritter. We will see what I am in the mood to make.
We have so enjoyed a sweet seedless watermelon I also grabbed up at the farm. I always get us a small one under six pounds or so. It is half gone at this point but we will eat more this afternoon when hubby gets home. I just love the seedless ones and this one is deep red and so sweet. I admit I have already had a slice this morning.
I am allergic to so many fruits as they give my tummy a fit.  I am so pleased that watermelon is one fruit I can digest and I love it!

Well I need to do something, don't I?  Maybe I may just switch the computer chair for my plaid chair in the living room and read for a bit. I would like to take a walk but it is still volatile out there and I do not want to be walking while the thunder is crashing about.
Have a super nice Sunday! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment