Monday, July 28, 2014

MARINATED TOMATOES AND CUCUMBERS FROM THE GARDEN

We love this mixture. Sliced garden tomatoes and cukes with a little sweet onion slices. Put into a container. In bowl mix a cup apple cider vinegar or enough to cover the vegetables, a tablespoon of sugar(or more to the taste) salt and pepper and mix well. Pour over veggies and put in fridge and let sit several hours to chill and meld.  When I was young this fresh summer dish adorned our table many times throughout the summer. It is a good accompaniment to almost any meal. It is tangy with the vinegar but allows the sweet taste of garden tomatoes to come through. The textures are a pleasing mouthful of soft tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers. And it is so easy to make.
So I am making this tonight along with what I do not know at this point ha. I will dig through my pantry and freezer and see what I come with. Tomorrow night I am making stir fry veggies in the wok to serve over rice.
Our turkey burgers were good last night and we both agree we like turkey burgers better than hamburger meat as the turkey in these patties is juicy and so flavorful with the dark and white turkey meat. As you put them on in a frozen state I feel this keeps them moist.

I must walk right after I complete this post. It is in the sixties now in the shade but is to be 97 today so a hot one for sure. I need to get pumped up about walking as I have been remiss about my routine. Lazy is more like it. If it is cold or too hot, or my allergies are bugging me or for whatever reason I make an excuse not to walk. I know we have at most another two months of good weather so I must enjoy these walks now before the cold rain comes in. So with a song in my heart and a zip in my step I will carry on down the street.

This coming week will be a full one. Tomorrow I must do my grocery shopping as Thursday my normal shopping day I am going to schedule my remaining tests for my physical, then Friday we are taking my mother in law to McGraths fish house for lunch, then Sunday we are having family over for pizza, then I will have a couple of days to prepare for my trip up the interstate for a visit with my daughter. So the time will go by fast this week.

My husband I talked yesterday while sitting and enjoying our solitude on the deck.
We will be going to Belknap Springs sometime in September and if time allows a trip to the coast. We need to get to the coast at least into October before the rain starts. We want one more time there when the weather is dry so we can grill and make breakfast outdoors while we camp. Also walks on the beach are much more enjoyable when there is warmth and sun. Then we also have my grandsons wedding in September so we have a few things on the agenda for getting away and having fun. I always like my little outings to look forward to. My gal pal Gerie will also be coming in the fall for a couple of nights. I always look forward to our yearly get together.

Well I am going to walk now as it will get hot quickly and when I return I will preview this and publish. On with the walking shoes NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment