Wednesday, August 7, 2013

CLOUDY SKIES WITH SOUP AND BISCUITS


Posted by PicasaSo today we have clouds.I did not take this photo I downloaded it. Pretty awesome swirly clouds don't you think? Our's are not quite this dark but still it is a dreary dull morning. We actually woke to a warm brunt looking sky. That was because of the south complex fires burning down near Roseburg. But it soon turned from orange to gray. The air smells fresh though there is not a hint of smoke.

I am waiting a while before starting on the truck again. Today I am cleaning the seats and carpeting. This is not going to be an easy chore. The carpet is deeply stained and I am sure never cleaned once in all the years it has been out of our possession.

I just returned from my walk and I am a bit chilled. I suppose I am accustomed to all that ninety degree weather. I am sure my husband will like this cooler weather today. He has just baked the past two days in the heat. 

I am making pot of chicken veggie soup this evening with biscuits. Soup just sounds good to me and of course I adore biscuits.
I grocery shop tomorrow so my pantry and fridge will be filled with more choices. I will go through recipes today and see what it is I wanting to make. I am in the mood to make some foods I have not tried.

I had a good conversation yesterday with my brother. However I was alarmed when he told me had been on his garage roof making some repairs and installing a new chimney for his wood stove in his garage. Hello.......this man is in his mid-eighties. I do not think he needs to be crawling around on rooftops. He assured me was very careful. Please be brother.

I am going to share my favortie biscuit recipe. I always use this recipe when I am not making my cheesy biscuits.
FEATHERWEIGHT BUTTERMILK BISCUITS:
Makes 12 biscuits.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
3/4 cup chilled buttermilk(remember if you do not have buttermilk just add a little white vinegar to your milk and let sit for a few minutes.)

Preheat oven to 450 degree's
Sift together first 6 ingredients into large bowl.
Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add buttermilk and stir until dough forms.
Turn dough out onto floured surface;knead until smooth about 8 turns.
Roll out the dough to 1 inch thickness.
Using a 2 inch diameter biscuit cutter cut out biscuits.
Gather scraps and roll out to 1 inch thickness and cut additional biscuits.
Transfer biscuits to a large ungreased baking sheet.
Bake until golden about 12 minutes.
Serve warm.
*Note. If not handled too much these are very tender featherweight biscuits.

I am off to work now, have a good one!


















No comments:

Post a Comment