Friday, August 2, 2013

TWO BIG POTS OF BLACKBERRIES

It was a fun early afternoon. We decided to go blackberry picking. There is a place we know out past the farms onto a gravel road. We took the truck as my rig is clean and I wanted it to stay that way!
It was quite obvious when we got to the blackberry area that others had beat us there. The wild grass was packed down and the berries that would have been handy to pick were gone. So we went the extra steps in just a bit closer to those black fat hanging berries avoiding as many thorns as possible. We picked for about a half hour plus and came away with two big pots full of berries and multiple scratches and pricks. So I am thinking that I have enough to make that delicious "Best in the West" cobbler and about five small jars of freezer jam. So that is on the agenda tomorrow. As I stood encased in the berry vines inhaling that sticky sweet smell it just took me back to when I was a little girl and my Mother would say, "go pick us some berries for a pie". So I would do as I was told knowing just how much she needed for a pie. I was trained well.
I adored picking berries with my hubby today. He went one direction and I the other. When we finished we met and dumped our berries tenderly into a larger container I had brought along. We were thrilled with our bounty. And we will truly enjoy that yummy cobbler tomorrow night with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting over the top. This winter we can spread that sweet blackberry jam over the top of our waffles,pancakes or toast and remember our little adventure today.

It was a perfect day here in Eugene. Cooler temps for sure and I have to admit a little fall scent in the breeze. Hmm..I am not at all happy about that but summer is back in place after today.
We sat on the deck this late afternoon and chatted and planned little adventures whenever the time allows. It makes us happy to do so. The one thing the two of us have always loved to do is plan. Sometimes our plans come about sometimes not but it almost seems the thoughts and plans are as important as the event itself.

Now it is time to make a simple dinner. So I will go and make a little food to our liking. Perhaps fresh veggies and bakers with blue cheese dressing and a little chopped sweet onion. It will be enough.
Tomorrow we are grilling pork ribs St. Louis style as I always do, corn on the cob and beans, at this point I am thinking baked beans.

Have a fun Friday night. All those out there probably remember Friday nights when you were young. That night was something special, maybe someone would call or you would have a great date or you would do something with gal pals, or maybe your folks would have taken you off with them to see relatives (heaven help me). Anyhow those teen years are a long time ago it seems. Tonight I spend with my husband, content to eat dinner and watch a movie. Oh how I love my simple life!
Off I go to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment