Saturday, August 31, 2013

THE PROCESS


Posted by PicasaSo from left to right, top to bottom. Tomatoes ready to go in oven, drizzled with olive oil and scattered with garlic cloves fresh thyme and oregano. Next the roasted and charred tomatoes. I let them cool, slip the skins off and put the skins into the food processor with a little of the juice. After they are processed I add the rest of the tomatoes and juice and pulse until all is blended. Then I pour into a container and freeze for a wonderful winter pasta sauce. That's it.
It takes about 12-15 tomatoes to make a qt jar of sauce. That is why the flavors are so intense. When using the sauce you can thin it with a little chicken broth or water if desired. 
I am going to make a qt a day until I am caught up with the tomatoes but at this point I have a couple dozen tomatoes sitting on counter and dozens more ready to pick so it will be a while before I am caught up. Every afternoon I have been having a half of tomato sammie on old fashioned white bread with mayo and salt and pepper. That is just how I had them when I was a youngster all I can say is yum, yum!!!!

I need to send a couple of payments off to suppliers so I had better make haste before the mailman comes.
Then into to the shower and into my OREGON gear.

Have a nice Saturday and GO DUCKS!


No comments:

Post a Comment