Friday, August 30, 2013

GETAWAY TO ODELL LAKE


Posted by PicasaWe have returned from our little adventure to the mountains and Odell Lake. The cabin we rented was at Shelter Cove one of the resorts at the lake.
Our weather was "ify" the first day but no matter we were happy to be there in our cabin in the woods with the lake just steps away from our porch. 
I kept myself entertained that first morning as my husband took off in the little boat fishing.
We spent the afternoon sitting on our own private dock in our camp chairs. We feed the ducks, and listened to eagles screech. There are many eagles now at Odell Lake and nearby Crescent Lake. We also saw many gulls and other water birds as nature abounds in that area.
We grilled juicy ribeye steaks the first evening and then it was campfire time.
Hubby brought corkscrew willow wood from the tree we cropped down last fall. The wood burned so clean no smoke and our clothing did not smell like campfire. That is such a plus. We retired early to our snug little log bed and slept like babies.

Out the cabin door early was my hubby's agenda the next day. I stayed in bed for another couple of hours, well he left as soon as he could see the path to the boat dock. You know the early bird thing with fishing. He did catch us some beautiful fish for dinner. That made me happy as we planned on fish for a meal.
After he returned a little before noon I made us big fat beef hot dogs with our diced garden tomatoes and onions with spicy mustard and zucchini relish stuffed into toasted outdoor rolls. yumo!
We went for a hike that afternoon and then back down to the dock to soak up the mountain sun and sat mesmerized by the sparkling sun splashed lake. Time slowed down,we sipped our drinks and lazed the afternoon away.
My husband fried the fish that evening he does such a perfect job of that. He fillets the fish and removes all the little pin bones. He has his special mix of crumbs that he breads them in. I served side dishes of corn on the cob from the farm and sliced tomatoes from our garden. Later we had chocolate covered donuts by the fire, then off to slumber.

So the days unfolded and I will say it was very relaxing we could just feel ourselves unwinding by the moment. The mountain air was crisp and fresh it was easy just to sit in front of our cabin staring at the lake in a state of bliss. I read and worked at some word puzzles, hubby and I played games and the time passed by unhurried.

The drive home was nice following the middle fork of the Willamette river as the sunlight filtered through the trees and danced on the water. So we will go again next year it is always something to look forward to.

I was out the door early this morning as it is the start of Labor Day weekend and I needed a few things at the grocery store. 
I picked up a chubby natural chicken for dinner. I will salt and pepper the cavity and place fresh rosemary and lemon wedges inside, tie the legs and place breast down after rubbing with olive oil and seasoning with herbs. I will roast it uncovered and turn over half way through the roasting time so the skin will get crispy all over. Tonight I will serve with boiled baby red potatoes and chicken gravy and a chopped iceberg, garden tomato and sweet onion salad with honey mustard dressing.
For tomorrow nights dinner I will morph whatever is left of the chicken and make ching-a-linga's. They are small size flour tortilla's stuffed with diced chicken and diced green chili's and green taco sauce. They are deep fried until golden and crispy and served topped with shredded iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes,chopped sweet onion, mexican cheese,sliced avocado's and finished off with sour cream green taco sauce. THEY ARE GOOD!

I made a gravenstein apple pie yesterday it is amazing and you probably remember I make that pie every year at this time when the farms have the gravenstein apples.
This afternoon will be spent in the kitchen at least for a couple of hours. I am making my first but believe me not my last pan of roasted tomato sauce. I have over two dozen tomatoes sitting on the counter and another dozen or so in the garden ready to be picked. We are eating them fresh daily in and on everything imaginable. Love them, that is a fact.
So I will leave you and start the process of roasting tomatoes.

Have a fun but safe Labor Day weekend whatever it is you are doing. I will be here in my home and my husband is working all weekend. He will DVR the OREGON game tomorrow so we will watch it tomorrow evening. We do not expect it will be much a game but it is always fun to watch their first game and see what is going on with the players and this year the new coach.

Well as you can see I have very large font again in the middle of this post. To change it would eat to much of my time up as I need to get at those tomatoes, so please just endure.
Later.





No comments:

Post a Comment