Monday, October 14, 2013

LEMON PIE CAKE

You know I think I have possibly posted this recipe before but I just looked back through the past couple of years posts and do not see it. For me this simple tasty pie cake is a winner in that it takes no time at all to make especially if you cheat and do not make your own pie crust. Sometimes I do cheat depending on my time schedule, most times not as I really prefer my homemade crust.
I am going to make this desert next and serve it to my hubby's Mother when she comes for dinner later this week.

Lemon Pie Cake.
Pasty for a nine inch pie single crust.
3 eggs separated
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350 degree's. Prepare pastry. Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form and set aside. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks;beat in lemon peel, lemon juice and milk. Add sugar, flour and salt; beat until smooth. Now beat the lemon mixture into egg whites on low speed until blended about 1 minute. Pour into a pastry lined pie plate. Bake until golden brown 45-50 minutes. Serve with sweetened whipped cream if desired.
This pie cake has a nice texture and has the perfect tartness of lemon.

I have to admit I have been making this very old recipe since the early years of my first marriage and that was so long ago I can barely remember for the cobwebs in my mind. In those days I could hardly boil water but gradually throughout the years I became quite skilled in the kitchen. But truthfully I feel I really came into the cooking and baking scene this past ten years. I am fortunate that my husband will eat just about everything I put in front of him and enjoy it. I have more time now that I am retired to peruse what has become a voracious hobby.

I am an avid reader of cooking publications. I adore the cooking channel and the food network. Now days one can learn to be a good chef just absorbing yourself in what you hear, watch and read. It is almost like osmosis. The thing that constantly amazes me is the little tricks one can do in the kitchen that makes all the difference in the world for either convenience or the quality of your food. Knowledge is success.
However sometimes an old go-to 1960's recipe just fits the need. 

The sun will break out later today but once again we have an inversion here in Eugene and up the 1-5 corridor. The weather report(if you can believe it) states that after today there will be no more fog. Lots of sun each day and into the sixties. It will be good walking weather and I surely need to walk I have been so remiss lately.

My man is on the job site today so a day for me to get caught up on some much needed chores without hubby underfoot.
I have accomplished much this morning and after this post I will clean this office and then attend to Halloween decor. This is what I was going to do yesterday but truthfully I was tired and worn out from game day. The older I get the more I realize that my body likes to go to bed no later than ten, that I need to eat and drink moderately and exercise daily. These are the truths of my life and I must adhere to them whether I like it or not.

Have a nice Monday. It seems to me that Monday's roll around incredibly fast these days.
Bye now.


No comments:

Post a Comment