Saturday, October 5, 2013

SLOW COOKER JOE'S

I was not going to take the time to post today. But after getting the ingredients together for the Sloppy Joe's and putting all into the crockpot I felt I needed to share this little gem of a recipe with you. I have used this recipe for years with some variations such as adding spicy peppers(which I do no longer)black or green sliced olives, more garlic, well you get the idea. Today I made it as is.

Sloppy Joe's
3 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3-4 cloves of  fresh garlic minced(no jarred stuff please it taste bitter)
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 1/4 cups ketchup
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar(I just had white vinegar so I added a splash of apple cider to the vinegar)
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard, if you only have spicy brown on hand that is fine too.
2 teaspoons chili powder(I used a teaspoon)
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large skillet cook burger with onion and garlic until browned. In a large measuring cup put in the rest of the ingredients except the red bell pepper.  Now drain excess fat if any from skillet and add the rest of the ingredients and the diced bell pepper to the skillet and mix well. Here you can also taste it, if you like a sweeter taste add more brown sugar if more tart add a little more vinegar. Adjust to your liking.
Pour all into crockpot and cook on low for six to eight hours.

I like to serve the sloppy joe mix on small potato rolls or slider buns.
That's it grab a big dill pickle and enjoy!

So now the Joe mix is doing it's thing in the crockpot and there are potatoes in the oven baking away for the potato salad, I have eggs boiling on the stove.
When I leave this blog I will start on my apple pie as the oven will be hot from baking the spuds.
When the food items are completed I will run and put on my game gear. I have already showered so that will save time.
Hubby is outdoors working in the (once again) fog. He has cut back all the tree's that needed it and the blackberry vines now he is starting on the hedge. There is much to do. He just popped his head in the door and said when do we start tailgating? What? I said not yet! He laughed he was joking. But we will soon as the game is at three. I am thinking about one will be about perfect.

So I am off have to a fun game day. I am sure this will be a yawner but hey we love the wins and next week we just might have a challenge with the Huskies. They are doing well this year.
GO DUCKS......QUACK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment