Wednesday, January 22, 2014

MARTA WITH HER NEWBORN BABY ME

My mamma and me. I was a but a few days old. my mother was thirty years old when she birthed me. My older brother Jack was twelve when I was born. So he was a really big brother who got so annoyed with me, a pain he says now. If I was fussy Mother would have him rock my cradle. He said if he stopped when I went to sleep it woke me and I would start crying. Hmmm is there something wrong with the picture? Is it called spoiled?
So now you have an idea with these scanned photo's what is going to be showing up on this blog. I just cannot help myself,  I love looking at the oldies and I love to remember as I do have quite an exceptional memory when it comes to the past. Of course now I cannot remember why I left the living room and went to the kitchen.  However I have heard that doorways remove your memory. 

I have come to the conclusion I am going to quit clipping recipes and filing them. My lord I would have to live to 200 years of age to make all the recipes I have collected. So enough.........unless of course something is really outstanding, laugh. It is time to par down when you get older not the other way around. I really must go through recipe tins and my cookbooks as well. I seem to cook quite a few of our favorites frequently.
I usually do try to include one new recipe a week. This week it will be dessert. I am not sure but I am wanting something in chocolate. So I will go through my clipped recipes and see what stands out.

Our potato chowder was very good. I call it chowder as it was thick with cheese and chopped baked potatoes and country sausage and onions. Of course the cheesy biscuits were divine. I actually had one for my breakfast cold. Even cold they melt in your mouth. I gave the recipe to my daughter, I wonder if she has made them yet. If not they are missing out.

Well I am putting off my grocery shopping for another day. I pulled my shoulder yesterday reaching deep into the back of a closet and lifting something heavy out. So now it is sore.  So lifting grocery bags into the car would not do it good.
So I am going to rest it a day. I need to quit doing everything so fast.  Seems I am always pulling a muscle or something anymore. I whiz through my housework like the white tornado. Time to slow down Zo at least a little.

So tonight it is chicken taco's as we had our yummy roasted chicken last night.  We decided on Spanish rice instead of beans and rice for a side. The way I make this rice is so simple and tasty.
I cook my long grain rice with the same ratio for rice and water in the directions but instead of water put in a combo of  three-quarters jarred salsa what ever heat level you prefer and a quarter chicken broth. I chop some sweet onion and add to that mixture. Cook as directed.  Then take a small casserole dish and spray with cooking oil and spread the rice in the bottom till all is even. Then top with a generous portion of grated mexican blend cheese or grated cheddar or pepperjack and scatter a few sliced pickled jalapeno's over the top and finish off by sprinkling the top with paprika. Doing this makes it very pretty.
Now pop into in a 350 oven uncovered until cheese has melted. This is good and so simple. Tonight I will shred the chicken and put into a skillet with a little chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper and a hot sauce of your choice and how much depends on the amount of heat you want. I like mild chicken as I put taco sauce on my taco's and hubby puts hot salsa on his. Then I fry corn shells till crispy and sprinkle with parmesan cheese this absorbs any extra grease.
So then we load our shells, chicken, cheese, onions, lettuce or cilantro or both and diced tomatoes, your salsa or taco sauce and finally a dab of sour cream. It is a mouthful but a tasty mouthful. Sometimes we add avocado slices.

Well as I am home today I am going to learn about Cover Oregon. My husbands insurance is going to be almost double what we are paying now. Makes me upset. So we will see if we can qualify for a tax credit at the end of the year off what we pay in health insurance. This is one thing I wish Obama would not have messed with. Yes it is great every american will have health insurance but a who's expense? Middle america of course. We struggle too and I do not like paying for others insurance. Not fair! So now we must scramble and shop for a cheaper insurance and hope for a tax credit. So I had better get to that task.

Have a nice Wednesday. We are in fog still. It never lifts! It is our gray winter blanket forever it seems. Truthfully I would be happy to see a patch work blanket, blue, yellow and gray would be nice for a change.







No comments:

Post a Comment