Friday, January 3, 2014

REMEMBERING OUR BOATING YEARS


Posted by PicasaWhat fun to reflect on times past especially our years as boat owners.
Having the photo scanner has brought past memories back clear and vivid. And what a good past it was. This photo here was taken at the dock at Odell Lake. The young man on the boat is my grandson Tyson. 
We took Tyson with us many times when we boated. There was room for us all to sleep in the roomy cuddy below deck as well as a nicely equipped galley and bathroom.
I loved this boat it was and still is the most favorite RV I have ever owned. Hubby and I both regret selling this beautiful boat but we found we did not have the time in summer to use it much. But we could have just kept it couldn't we? But instead we traded it in on a motor home.
We had this boat for a number of years and before it we had a smaller version with tight quarters below for sleeping and a porta potty, no galley. So we were boaters for many years.
A little antidote here. We were off for a week to Shasta, seven days on the lake in this big boat which was new at the time. We traveled many hours to get to Shasta, launched the boat, and my husband said to me when we were out on the water "this is going to be the best vacation of our lives". Oh the sweet life. We motored out to the middle of the lake and hubby says "get me my swim trunks will you". It is so hot in Shasta and we were cooking from the time we got on the water. So I went below and starting digging through his boat bag, which I packed. I was getting very nervous as I did not see any swim trunks, so I went through my bag also, nope no trunks for my honey. Hubby asks what is taking so long?
I came up on top deck and said, "well it appears that I forgot to pack them."

His face drops and he says, "you have got be kidding right?" On the boat for a week and nothing to swim in? Not a good thing.
Well fortunately I had packed myself a pair of nylon elastic waist shorts. So I grabbed those for him, we laughed they were tight and looked obscene. But at least he could get in the water. The regular shorts I had brought for him were like cargo shorts that would have held so much water we would have flooded the boat if they were wet.
So we managed throughout the first day of swimming. The next day we went to the closest resort and can you believe they were sold out of swim trunks. So we went to the other end of the lake, not one pair in his size. So now we are out on the lake for six more days with my husband wearing my nylon shorts which left nothing to wonder about, if you get my drift. Whenever someone pulled up and anchored next to us, my husband kept his beach towel wrapped around him.
Now we laugh as we remember that time. Whenever we go to a beach or a lake now the first thing he says before leaving the house is, "you packed my swim trunks didn't you?"

I have had a very busy day so far.
I was out the door at nine, errands, grocery shopping, Walmart, car wash etc. I was back home by early afternoon. Stashed away a car load of paper staples groceries and fresh produce. I bought kale,broccoli,cauliflower and salad items, plus some fruit. See I am being better. 
This evening I am making the Senate navy bean soup. I have not made it for a while. It is that yummy soup made with a mashed potato and milk and butter for thickening. This soup gets even yummier with sauteed celery, parsley,garlic and onions. Add a good helping of ham and it is a grand soup. This will be the last of our Christmas ham....finally.

Well I have not much time left to enjoy my part of the day. So I am going to plop in my chair for much needed back recuperation.
Off I go my book awaits.


No comments:

Post a Comment