Saturday, February 8, 2014

BEST PIZZA YET

I am getting better and better at making the perfect pizza. I make it the way we like, with thin crispy crust, easy on the sauce and ingredients. There was a really good crunch to this crust, the homemade sauce from our last summers garden tomatoes mixed with herbs, garlic and a little olive oil was tasty without being spicy. We topped it with what I had on hand which was, a little green pepper on hubby's side and pineapple tid-bits and black forest ham that I sliced very thin. Then we put sweet chopped onion after it was cooked. That is way my husband likes it so I go along makes no difference to me. He likes the crunch. So we do not go out for pizza any longer. The reason I learned to make it from scratch is we were never satisfied with what was offered out there.

I truthfully must say and I think I have mentioned it before, Eugene is not a city of the culinary arts. Sad but true. There is a wonderfully authentic Italian restaurant over in the University district and it is out the way for us and it is only open for dinner and we tend to go late afternoon or for lunch. There is a good Mexican eatery fairly close by. Then we have our favorite pub and grub place(The Cornucopia) which we seem to gravitate to more than any place else. Seems a lot of folks in Eugene are satisfied with common fare but not great. When we went out the Steelhead Brewery last Wednesday for lunch and micro-brews for hubby we went there for the beer as he loves their brews,not the food. The food was mediocre nothing special. I had a french dip and it was all bun no meat. He had small lack luster chicken wings. We can do better at home but it is nice to get out. What I cannot understand is the place was full hardly a table left at lunch time on a weekday. So see it obviously does not matter how tasty the food is, or else the general public does not know good food. That is hard to believe but it might be so. Eugene is sort of an odd little city staying stuck in the past.

So it is still snowing and snowing and my husband is home again as he cannot make his way to the job site. We have a lot of snow. At this time it is nine inches and still piling up.

I am going try and accomplish much today. I have pot roast cooking in the slow cooker. So tonight it is roast, mashed potatoes and gravy and fresh carrots sliced and simmered till tender and glazed with honey butter.
I am baking today also. I decided to make ginger cream cookies with butter cream frosting. Also I have laundry to do and a few other chores.
We want to eke out some time before dinner to finish our gin rummy game we started yesterday.

Well off I go have a nice snow day.





No comments:

Post a Comment