Monday, February 10, 2014

OLIVIA'S FIRST SNOW

Olivia in Central Oregon with her Mommy and Daddy enjoying the snow. She is so cute in her little snowsuit. Her Mommy is not bad either!

I remember the first time my son Mike saw snow. He was seven months old, we were living in La Pine in central Oregon. One evening the snow started to fall just after dark. We bundled up little Michael in a brown snow suit and cap.  We jumped in our car a 54 Chevrolet and headed up toward Paulina Lake as it was more elevation. The farther we went the deeper the snow got and more mesmerizing it became as the flakes landed on the windshield like patterns in a kaleidoscope. My son was in the front seat of the car between the two if us. He was just bedazzled by the event. We went as far as our car would allow without becoming stuck. My husband stepped out into knee deep snow with his son in his arms.  The snow was falling in huge flakes and with Michael's pudgy little fingers he was pointing to the sky and saying something that sounded like, oh, oh, oh. He was laughing his hearty little laugh and was so animated in his gestures. He was loving every moment as were we his parents.
For some reason that picture of him pointing to sky and jabbering his baby jabber will stay with me forever it was such a happy moment. It was magical.

You know what that son of mine is still crazy about snow! He absolutely loves it, to work in it, to play in it, to drive in it, it does not matter that he is cold he is never miserable. One of his fave things is to snow camp.  He is my mountain man, that is what the family calls him. 

I for one am very happy that the snow is melting. Though it is not gone yet. This morning finds us here in Eugene, with snow still on the ground, but the ice is gone. Trees are broken, shrubs are down trodden, leaf plants look as if they came from the Adam's Family set. We need to take a tree down, the one that split that stands by our trailer. Well you get the picture and it is not a pretty one. But as my son nicely reminded me yesterday, "but it's winter Mom." He has the same scenario going on in Portland. He does not mind, he was without power for 12 hours not the pitiful three we were without it. I suppose I have turned into a weenie. 

We enjoyed our scalloped potatoes last night and we have a couple of helpings left so to those tonight I will add a couple of baked pork chops and boil more carrots with honey butter. They are so yummy. I just clean the carrots and simmer till barely tender, then drain and add a dollop of butter and return to the burner to melt the butter, then put them in a bowl and drizzle honey over them. They are wonderfully glazed and sweet and savory both.

My husband made it to the job site yesterday and all was well. Of course because of the weather he is running behind now as he had jobs scheduled back to back. However we cannot control the weather so I am sure his next folks will be fine with the delay.

Well I need to get myself around as I say. My hubby left before seven this morning, so I have had a nice couple of hours to read the paper and have tea and toast(am I from the UK) and play on the computer a bit.
Tomorrow I will go grocery shopping so today I must make out my menu and my grocery list.  At least the major roads are in OK shape now. Our street though is still a mess.

The work week starts today for many folks. Sounds as if the folks in Portland may be getting a day off however. I would assume my daughter will not be working as I think the schools are closed. So a fun snow day for her.

See ya later.




No comments:

Post a Comment