Thursday, February 13, 2014

NEWCASTLE ENGLAND

This is Newcastle England such a beautiful romantic looking city. I wanted to post a photo of this city as I am in the midst of a book where the story takes place in this area. Most of the books I choose to read are novels but novels that are based on fact. So as I read sometimes I make a trip to the computer to goggle something that I have just read usually a location or a bit of history. I think I would love to travel to this city for some reason it draws me. It sits eight miles off the North Sea. Basically the city was in it's early beginnings a fishing town. Now it is a booming metropolis with a mix new and old. And strangly they have wonderful venue for folk music. Music inspired by the sea and working folk of years past. Anyhow I find it all quite interesting.

I am listening to Pandora as I type. I have it tuned to Celtic music. Very appropriate. I heard a song a earlir that I love so much I have heard it many times before. It is called Adagio by Secret Garden. You can goggle that and go to YouTube and listen to it. 

As I am drinking so much tea of late, I found myself setting up a little tea area adjacent to my stove. I put out a proper tea pot and my favorite mugs. I am going to purchase a electric tea kettle soon. Boiling hot water in two minutes sounds very inviting. We can use that kettle for individual coffee's too as I have a filter holder for cup size or for tea water or to make a mug of hot chocolate. The one I want to buy is the Cuisinart. It is not exactly thrifty but when I buy for my kitchen I buy what I want. Cost does not seem to matter as I want appliances and kitchen tools that will last and do what I want them to.

By now my daughter and Doug have landed in Honolulu and have picked up their rental car and are making their way to the other side of the island to Makaha. Where they will stay in a beachfront condo for ten days. Gina said they will make a stop at Costco and a grocery store on the way. 
I so remember how it was on our tropical vacations. The last trip to St. Martin was kind of unusual however. We arrived on one of their major holidays. So everything was closed. Everyone goes to the beach and there are all kinds of events. We could not find one grocery open on either the dutch side of the island or the French side where we were staying. So luckily there was a Seven Alive open. Yes it is the equivalent of a Seven Eleven. We bought cheap wine(was all they had) beer, cheese and crackers, chips, junk. We were starved. We drove to our hotel almost getting hit head on by a farmer behind the wheel of an old truck hauling cages chickens. He was right in the middle of the road on a blind corner. Hubby headed toward the field on the right hand side of the road. There are so many crazy drivers on that island you would not believe it,that is another story as they say. Anyhow we arrived at our hotel and went to our room, home at last in St. Martin for two weeks. We refreshed and headed to the hotel restaurant as we were famished. Well guess what? They were closed......bummer. So we ate what we had bought at Seven Alive and our snacks we took on the plane. At least we had a bottle wine! So I think Gina and Doug will be a little more prepared than we were. The next day we went and bought groceries after we figured out how to unlock the grocery carts and of course we had no idea how much we were paying for anything as the pricing labels were in French.

Our wok food was so good last night. It seemed my body was craving vegetables. I so liked the combination of veggies used that I wrote down what I did. I am happy there is enough left for me to have lunch today.

I could not sleep very well last night. Then it dawned on me how much tea I put away yesterday and my last cup was at three thirty. So if I am drinking tea that late in the day I will have decaffeinated. I have an entire box of it to use up.

My husband will be home today at two or so which is so lovely as we need to go to his sister's early evening for a birthday party for his mother. Actually her birthday was on the 10th but it did not work for others to have it at that time. It will not be hard for me food wise as I am just asked to take coleslaw. It is my mother's coleslaw recipe and it is good the dressing is always perfect, the right amount of tartness and sweet. After dinner we will come home and watch more Olympics. We sure enjoy the winter games.

Well I must tidy my house and get on with my extra chores today. I would like to be done so I can enjoy our afternoon together.
Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment