Monday, February 17, 2014

POSOLE A WINNER














This bowl of posole was unbelievable and one of the best soups I have ever tasted. And the best thing is you can make it as hot or mild as you like. I went for the mild version. Served with cornbread it is a complete meal without meat.
Here is my version of the recipe.
Zo's Posole
(I cut this recipe in half and it was perfect for two with some leftover.)
2 cans of yellow hominy drained and rinsed
2 cans of red beans drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 med sweet onion diced or sliced scallions
1 16 ounce jar of mild to hot salsa
3 1/2 cups sodium reduced chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 cup whipping cream 
Shredded cheddar cheese

Using a heavy soup pot add beans and hominy,onion,corn, chicken broth, salsa and oregano. On medium heat bring to a soft boil and then put to simmer and let simmer for approximately a half hour.(you are just trying to meld the flavors and you do not want to keep it at a higher heat and let it boil as you want the hominy and beans intact and not mushy) When well heated slowly drizzle in the cream and stir and turn off burner and let sit in the pot on the burner until the cream is heated. 
Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheese.

Is there anything easier than this? Serve with corn bread, flour tortilla's, cheesy biscuits etc. Also I think chicken would be a nice addition if you cared for some meat in it.(the photo at top is not mine I got it online and it appears to have chicken in it).
I have to say my husband just loved this bowl of goodness. He added a little chulula to his as he likes it a little hotter.
I will keep this recipe and make it often. It is perfect for a stormy night which we had last night.

Today is windy again and quite a heavy down pour this morning. I do worry about our tree that was broken in the last wind storm. A limb barely missed our little travel trailer. Hubby removed the broken part but the tree is not strong now. The entire tree needs to be removed. He may try to do that today if the wind subsides. It is a concern.

We are making jerky today. I bought a couple london broils sometime back and put them in the freezer. So we have thawed a three pound piece and we each will make jerky of our choice. As hubby prefers his spicy with kick and I like teriyaki we must make separate batches. We like having jerky on hand especially when we camping. Well who knows when we will go camping as we are waiting for winter storms to abate. But we will jump at the first chance we get and head back to the coast. To Florence this time to the KOA there a short two blocks to the ocean.


As I have much to do today I need to get at it. It is Monday after all as I do nothing much on Sunday's Monday's tend to be busy days.
See ya,

No comments:

Post a Comment