Saturday, April 19, 2014

SHRIMP FROM BELIZE

These shrimp were given to us compliments of my son-in-law Douglas. Oh my talk about good. They are so sweet they taste like lobster. I just left a bit of the tails on after cleaning them and then sauteed them in a little garlic, butter and white wine, salt and pepper. Served over lemon with a side of asparagus fried rice. The rice was also a winning dish. I made my regular fried rice, with scallions, a tad of minced garlic, a little ginger, toasted sesame oil but this time I added a little small diced linguica. Sauteed until all was melded then added the rice until fried lightly brown, then I made a well in the middle of the pan and poured in a couple of beaten eggs and stirred them until they started to set them incorporated them into the rest of the dish.
The shrimp and the fried rice made for a classy little meal that tasted over the top.

I just had the leftover fried rice for lunch. Very good even the second day. I do adore fried rice I always have it when going for Chinese food. Eddie's in Bend was always my favorite place for Chinese food. Everything they made was excellent and it was grand that is was just a block away from where I worked downtown Bend. Many days I lunched there alone with a book or a manual I studying or something to keep me occupied. As far as I know the place is still there. We have no favorite Chinese food eateries in Eugene, I think we have tried them all in every direction within the city and have not found one that we cared for. Sad but true. So I try to make what I can. So far that includes fried rice of many varieties, chow mien, chop suey, sweet and sour chicken or shrimp, beef and broccoli, pepper beef, egg foo yong with sauce and just run of mill stir fry with whatever veggies I have in the fridge all done up in the wok. But how I yearn to go to Eddie's and order up all that they make so deliciously.

Tonight in my kitchen I am making pizza. We have not had pizza for three weeks since Gina and Douglas were here. So we are needing a fix.
Tonight's will be topped with similar items which seem to be turning into our favorite toppings. Leeks again, we love the flavor of them, linguica cut into half moon slices and put on the very top as to get crispy around the edges, sliced black olives, and tonight I will toss on some pineapple tid-bits. I have mentioned before that the pineapple and onion or leeks in this case compliment one another on a pizza.
So when I finish this post I must got get my dough made and simmer my sauce to reduce it.

Gray is the order of day here in Eugene. But spring is here and it is comforting to hear the whispering of limbs softened by new leaves and opening buds instead of the rattle of bare branches.
And on that lovely thought I will you for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment