Saturday, April 19, 2014

STATE OF WONDER

State of Wonder is the name of the current book I have my nose in. It is written by Ann Patchett. It was a national best seller as well as book of the year and received many other accolades. The reason being it is one of the most amazing stories that unfolds in the Amazon jungle off the coast of Manaus Brazil up the Negro River off in smaller tributaries that snake through the jungle. The destination is a compound where several doctors have been for a number of years doing research on a tribe of indigenous people whose woman folk are still giving birth into their sixties and seventies.(Who would want to?) The book is a page turner as more and more adventures take place in this remote harsh environment. It has everything rain forests enthusiasts expect, snakes, insects of every imagination, bats, birds, every slippery creepy creature that slithers are all there to feast upon your flesh with deadly results. I am hooked on this book. How on earth will I get anything done until this book is finished and put back into my bookcase? It is a nail bitter but I will refrain from that as my nails look bad enough the way it is.

Had a good visit with my brother yesterday afternoon. He did sound so tired however. He has given up his second home at Silver Lake. He has sold his trailer and gazebo, decking etc and is clearing things out his rented space in the park. 
I know it has just became too much for him to take care of. The older you get the simpler you need your life to be. So his space will be empty on Monday and then he can go home to his house in Kalama and relax. He is still thinking of a little camper if he can find one. They are hard to come by, the small ones but I feel he would still like to make a little trip now and then. Also he still has his nice boat so I am sure he will be taking it to Silver Lake this summer on day trips. He is 84 and in good health as far as he knows. He is like me in the respect we do not doctor as we say. He said yesterday he just does not have the energy any longer for a lot of busyness. I know what he means. I have said often the older I get the less interested I am in doing things that take a lot of effort. The little trailer and simple getaways suit me just perfect. I am such a homebody that I do not mind being home and puttering about doing my daily chores and indulging myself in my hobbies which are all quiet endeavors. I was thinking the other day of perhaps taking up painting again but not in the same style as I did in my younger years. I have canvas's, brushes, even an assortment of paints that have not been opened as to whether they would still be usable I do not know. But basically it would take little expense and effort to take it up again.

Well I must email off a couple of bids so I had better do my office chores and not procrastinate. 
Later.



No comments:

Post a Comment