Monday, September 23, 2013

AUTUMN

The weather the past few days is really a late fall mode. Lots of hard downpours. Clouds scudding fast through the sky changing from bright to dark in a moment.  However there is relief in sight and perhaps just perhaps we can hope for a few more weeks of lovely weather.  Starting Thursday it is to warm up with sun and clouds and by the weekend it is looking good.

Hubby asked me this morning if I would like to ride with him up the McKenzie river as he has a bid. Need he ask twice?  So we are going to do that Saturday morning as it will be nice in the mountains. We will stop on the way home for pizza at a place we have not been to in years. Hope it is still good, it is in east Springfield and we do not get over there that often. We used to live in Thurston when we first moved to the valley that was in 93' and that is east Springfield. So a nice drive through mountains following the blue green waters of McKenzie river then a pizza stop. It can't get much better than that.

Today is more office work for me. Does it never end? Yesterday was basically a day from any drudgery. 
The visit with hubby's mother was good. She is very hard to understand as she talks so low and kind of mumbles so it is a strain trying to hear what she is talking about. Other than that she is cozy and cared for and seems to be settling in.  The dividing screen will be useful as she does need her privacy from the other person in the room.

We came home from our visit and fixed turkey burgers with the works. I did not feel like making a big meal and neither of us were really that hungry. So it worked out.
Tonight I am making a chicken veggie soup just sounds good to me on a showery, blustery day. I am starting with chicken thighs, I prefer them when making soup as they have so much flavor. I simmer them until tender then remove from the pot and take the bones out. I will put lots of vegetables in the pot but no tomatoes! I am going to make herb biscuits to go with.

As much as I do not want to I must make another pan of roasted tomatoes today for sauce. I have a bowl full that needs to be used. We have tried but we can only eat so many fresh.

I will run to the farm later this week for bell peppers as hubby wants to make his Hungarian dish with sliced kielbasa,  green peppers, onions, garlic and yes lots of fresh tomatoes. He cooks the sausage and veggies in a little olive oil in a covered pot until the veggies have cooked down and have made their own sauce. He then makes a pot of boiled potatoes(sometimes we make mashed). To serve you put some potatoes on your plate and then spoon over the rich red sauce with the kielbasa onto your potatoes. Add a splash of hot sauce to the top if you like and dig in. You can also use rice or noodles in place of potatoes if you prefer. It is a good meal for fall and winter, definitely comfort food.

Sorry I have not been posting photo's but hopefully any day now I may have a photo of my new great grand baby for your viewing pleasure. We are getting anxious where are those babies?
Maybe tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment