Monday, September 2, 2013

SUNDAY'S HAUL 31 TOMATOES


Posted by PicasaSo here sits the tomatoes I picked yesterday. I still have a bowl on the counter and there are many in the garden that will need picking today. I was hoping to make just one batch of sauce a day but today I will make two as I need to catch up. They really seem to beautiful to use in sauce but we can only eat so many fresh.

Our potato soup last night surely hit the spot for the both of us and the biscuits I made were the best I have ever made. I used sour cream instead of buttermilk and they were tender plump and so tasty. I feel the whole key with biscuit making is do not handle the dough anymore than need be, and cut them at least 1" thick. The biscuits last night rose so high. I will always use this recipe and as it is so wonderful I am going to share it on this post.

It is somewhat cloudy today but that is ok by me. My hubby has a long day so the house is mine today. There are several things I must catch up on. Laundry, office and bathrooms and of course making pasta sauce.
I am going to take a longer walk today and hope I will not get shin splints. I do need new shoes my New Balance shoes are not as supportive as they once were. I bought a new pair of Fila's last winter but do not care for them at all. Other than being cute(gray, pink and lime green) they are useless as they are not cushioned enough. So I am keeping my eyes peeled for a good sale on my fave style of New Balance.

Here is the biscuit recipe. Please try this if you are biscuit lover. I have tried many many recipes and am always disappointed.  In my mind I recall my mother's high golden, tender biscuits. Well this recipe is the closet I have come to hers.

FEATHERWEIGHT BISCUITS
2 cups all purpose or unbleached flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2" pieces.
3/4 cup sour cream
splash of milk(2 tablespoons approx)

Preheat oven to 450 degree's
Sift together first 6 ingredients.(here is a trick, instead of sifting use a whisk and whisk until all is well blended) it is quicker and works just as well.
Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add sour cream and milk and stir just until it comes together.
Make a smooth mound and roll out the dough to a one inch thickness on a floured surface.
Using a 2 to 2 1/2 biscuit cutter cut out the biscuits. Gather scraps, roll and cut out additional biscuits.
Bake on ungreased baking sheet.(I always use my silpat baking sheet).
Bake until golden about 12 minutes.
Makes 8 to 12 biscuits depending on size of biscuit cutter.
Serve warm and eat the entire pan.......just kidding, but you will want to.

I had one this morning with my coffee, just hit it for 12 seconds in the micro and buttered it and spooned on my homemade blackberry jam. It was divine, oh my heavens.

Well I now will go for my walk to burn that buttery, jammy biscuit off.
Have a good labor day and relax. In this household today we are both busy so no holiday for us.
Bye for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment