Thursday, September 12, 2013

LATE SUMMER

Don't you just love these late summer days? I know I do. Not fall but really not summer it is a between time. The temps are perfect, the air is fresh with what is to come, summer is trying to hold on, the trees are hanging onto mostly green leaves and the grass is thankful for the reprieve of wildly hot days.
It occurs to my husband and I both that there is much to do before autumn truly takes hold. Two trees need to be cut back to their stumps, the roof needs a de-mossing treatment, the work yard on the side of the house needs cleaning and will require a run to the dump. I want to clean the windows really well outside before the cold weather comes in. So I have my list made and it is getting longer by the day.

We had a small but tasty tuna casserole last night, made from scratch, no soup. I served it with cold veggies and garlic toast. So tonight we will finish the casserole and I am making cucumber salad and will fry up some zucchini patties. Then tomorrow night one of my honey's favorites. Stuffed green peppers in our own tomato sauce. Yumo!

I went to two grocery stores today and had shopped at two others on Monday. So now we are well stocked. The pantry, freezer and fridge are full. I have just put a roaster pan of tomatoes in the oven so that will yield four more cups. Tomorrow I run to the farms for a few veggies we do not grow. And tomorrow I will make cookies. I was going to do that this afternoon but I need to make the cuke salad and have still have some laundry to attend to, so the cookies can wait a day.

I also picked up four 'new to me' books today. They all look outstanding. I am just about through with my current book about the roundup of Jews in occupied France in July 42. A heartbreaking story and certainly should be remembered and never forgotten. Such a heinous crime against humanity it is so hard to take it in as there is no understanding it. The next book I start will be a more uplifting topic as ones heart can only absorb so much hurt.

A new but "old" eatery has opened up in Eugene. It is the 'Wild Duck' and it is not the same as it once was when it was on 6th st years back, but it may be a good and fun place to go. We always enjoyed the old Wild Duck and went frequently. Our next trip out to eat before the rains come is North Bank McMinimans. It is right on the Willamette river and there is a large deck with outdoor seating. A very pretty serene scene. Then the next lunch out we will try the Wild Duck. My hubby is excited he called today on his way to the job site to tell me it has opened. Funny. We do love our little outings.

Well the obnoxious dryer buzzer is blasting in my ears so best go fold clothes. I should have done all my laundry on Tuesday but I procrastinated.
I am outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment