Friday, September 27, 2013

END OF TOMATO SEASON......BOO HOO.


Posted by PicasaMy heart is broken. Yes I went out this morning and picked every single tomato we had left. There was no recourse. We are to have a cold rainy storm come in starting this evening and lasting throughout the weekend. They expect about three inches of rain to fall and there could be some flooding in areas. 
So what to do? The tomato vines look bad at this point some are starting to get mold as it has been to cool and the showers have added to the problem.
The one good thing is I will put these tomatoes in several brown bags in the pantry and they will ripen like magic one or two a day. Seems they would ripen all at once doesn't it? But maybe the one or two that are the closest to getting ripe take the energy from the others. Not quite sure how it works(do they communicate with one another? You know like...why don't you ripen now and I will wait till tomorrow.
So off into the bags they will go.I will save a few out for a batch of fried green tomatoes.

Tonight for dinner I making baked chicken breasts and grilled tomatoes with cheese. Looks yummy. You slice the (red) tomatoes lengthwise and drizzle Italian dressing over them and top with parmesan cheese and pop under the broiler take out and add chopped fresh parsley. A few baby red potatoes in their skins tucked to side with butter, salt and pepper will complete our meal.

I felt bad for my husband last night. He left for the job site at six-thirty yesterday morning. He got home at six-thirty, he then went to the garage to get a coat of finish on some base shoe he is installing today. Then he came in about forty-minutes later took a shower and we ate late. He got a couple of calls and had to anttend to those. Then took out some blue prints from a client as he had to measure up for stair nosing and the different moldings he had to order for another job. When he finally put his things away for the evening it was nine PM. He was up early this morning to put another coat of finish on the base shoe. Then he jumped in his van and I followed in my SUV and we went across town and dropped the van off to have a new alternator put in. We have been trying to do this for two weeks but with him working everyday he has needed his van. So anyhow we came back home after dropping the van and he loaded up his pickup and took off the job site.
I can thankfully say he is through with work after today for a few days and he sure needs that break. Me too.

Today I am making the gingerbread loaves. I love gingerbread and seems to go with fall. I will make a thin lemon icing for drizzling over it.
I think our plans are still on for tomorrow unless the storm is to bad in the mountains. If so we just may run to pizza and he can go on that bid up the McKenzie on Monday.

Well you know what? I have been busy ever since I got up at six. So I am going to take a break and have cup of Campbell's chicken noodle soup and oyster crackers. That sounds really good right now. I got a little chilled picking the tomatoes. I do have the furnace on the first time since last winter but it is set very low. I do not like a hot house I prefer to put a hoodie on.

I may not post tomorrow as I will be out having fun. You know the OREGON/CAL game tomorrow evening here is going to be a soaker. The paper said, even if you prepare and wear your rain jackets, rain boots and rain hats you may still get wet! Yikes. Glad I will be cozy in my house with my blankie watching the game. I hate it is such a late game. I hope we can stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment