Tuesday, September 3, 2013

SNAPSHOTS



Posted by PicasaSnapshots of the multiple showers the other day. Certainly cleans up the deck and makes all so fresh and jasmine scent was thick in the humid air. Second photo, yesterday's haul of tomatoes. I had to do two pans of roasted tomatoes yesterday and will do so today starting with the first pan as soon as this post is ended. I will make two batches of roasted tomato sauce instead of pasta sauce today. I like the plain tomato sauce on hand as I can add different herbs and flavors to it as sometimes I add it into chili or soups or casseroles.

I will use as many fresh diced tomatoes I can this evening in our meal.
Do you remember the 1970's favorite meal for families? Hamburger goulash was one of my go to meals for my family, my kids loved it.
So tonight I will make that with fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes. It should be good. I asked my hubby if he recalled his mother making that and he said no. So we will see what his response is to this dish.
This what I will do for those of you like my husband that do not know. Let's see if I remember it has been years.
Brown a pound of burger in a skillet along with 1/2 diced green pepper, 1/2 onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Let the meat get brown, season with salt pepper and a little italian seasoning if you like. Add at least four cups of diced fresh tomatoes and let these cook a bit to release their juice. In a pot boil your choice of pasta. I always used small macaroni and that is what I will use tonight for old times sake. Do not add too much pasta or your dish will be dry. When the pasta is 'to the bite' drain and add to the burger and tomato mixture, mix well. Put into a casserole dish and top with grated cheddar cheese and stick under the broiler until the cheese is golden(the broiler addition is what I did, I think most folks just served it up without the cheese.)
Now do you remember? A cheap meal in the seventies to feed the family. My little ones loved it for lunch the next day.

It is nice out this morning. A mix of sun and clouds, it is cooler and the air is fresh. It surely feels like a early autumn morning.
I will tidy my house then get a pan of tomatoes in the oven to roast and tie on my walking shoes. It takes the tomatoes about 45 minutes to roast so that will coincide with my walk. I will come home to a house filled with the aroma of roasting tomatoes. After I remove them from the oven to cool I will run to the nearest farm as I need to purchase a few vegetables and some hot peppers to make salsa fresca for my husband. 
Then home to process the first batch of tomato sauce and get another into the oven for roasting.

So I will tear myself away from this post now and get on with my day it does rather sound like a busy one. Hubby will be home today about three and I want to be finished with my to-do's so we can have a nice afternoon together, maybe kick back and watch a movie together.

It is back to school for lots of kids and teachers and school staff. My daughter included. She said it seemed her time off this summer was so short. It really was as she was not through with her job until the second week of June.

Talk to you all tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment