Sunday, May 4, 2014

BAKING HERMITS

I baked Hermits today, those spicy, crunchy perfect little treats to satisfy anyone's cookie cravings.
The reason I made them today was because I wanted to give my niece Sarah and her boyfriend a bakers dozen to nibble on as they fly to Scotland.  Do you know the reason they are named Hermits? Well it seems when the English were on their long journey's across the ocean to the new world these little cookies sealed in containers lasted the entire voyage without going stale. So they were hermits I suppose because they were stowed away. This is the recipe my mother used. The only change I have made is substituting crasins for raisins. I have never liked raisins and my mom used them quite frequently in bake goods and desserts. As a child and teen I would diligently pluck each tiny raisin from the item I was eating and depose of then in a napkin. It took a lot of effort but in my mind it was worth the trouble. I so disliked that little brown squishy thing being in my mouth. And I still do!

Sarah has been here three weeks already. So tonight we are going down the street to my sis in law's for mexican fare and say goodbye to Sarah and Michael her British boyfriend. I do not know when Sarah will return here as she loves living abroad and is still working on getting her masters degree at Edinburgh University. It is hard on her parents as they miss her of course but they understand it is her life to live as she chooses.

It is really blustery today. The showers come in under dark skies and the winds rattle the screen doors and make the wind chimes play wild music. At this very moment the rain is thundering on the roof like a hundred horses hooves.

My husband would like to use the computer so I will vacate my seat in front of it.
Have a nice Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment