Friday, May 9, 2014

MY MESSY EVER CHANGING BOOKCASE

Yes this is one of my messy ever changing bookcases. I have more books in the office. The books on the two top shelves are keepers. Some are older than I am. Some were given to me by my Grandmother and Mother. The books on the bottom shelves I swamp out for new books. I also have books stacked on top of this book case but no need to show all the disarray. I would someday like a book case that is six feet tall. That way I can keep way more books than I have here. Now when I read a book I must decide if it is a keeper or a tosser. Of course I would never toss a book it would go to St. Vinney's. I tend to keep my favorite writers books as I will read them again in a few years. When we were packing up our home in Bend to move to Eugene I took ten boxes of books to the thrift store. Oh how I hated parting with them it hurt my heart. I had moved those books so many times in my lifetime. But seriously how many books do you need if you have already read them? My spiritual books will always be keepers as they are part of who I have become.
When I was a child I remember very plainly having books scattered about my bed and yes this is true, my crib. My Mother Goose book and some little Golden books were always near by. I would take them to bed with me instead of stuffed animals or dolls. My Mother thought it was so cute. The books in bed trend continued throughout my life. I wonder how many books I have honestly read? I bet it is somewhere in the thousands. It is truly my education. I have learned so many things about different places and people, cultures etc.
Both of my parents were readers as well as my younger brother. My older brother does not have much interest in reading except for the newspaper and magazines. My Grandparents were readers as well as writers and I clearly remember my Grandmother bringing me books when I was small when she came to visit. There is nothing like a new book for gift. To open it and smell the ink print,to be the first one to turn the glossy fresh pages and look at the pictures. Oh how I loved my Grammy for that.
I have always loved bookstores and libraries. Wherever I have lived I have had a library card. So Zo and her life with books it will never end.

Well today I am off to run a few errands as I did not go yesterday. The weather today is no better however. Woke to rain and it is still dripping out there. Oh well must make myself get out of the house. Oh we have some grand weather coming in a few days. We will get our garden in Thursday. Yes! We are going for plants and herbs and flowers on Wednesday.
I am still looking for new patio chairs to go around our round table. I want iron or metal that is coated for outdoor use. They are hard to find. Of course I can find the very expensive ones.

Italian fare tonight. I still have six quarts of pasta and tomato sauce from last years tomatoes so must start working on that. So pasta tonight with olives, artichokes, shallots and roasted sauce. I will grab a baguette at the store. Did you know that pasta dinner is my favorite to prepare. I like to make it as you can be quite creative however it is a no brainer as you know what to do. So it is always a good thing to make when having guests. When I cook for company I am always chatting or folks are hanging about the bar and kitchen talking to me. So if I am making a complicated meal I can easily get sidetracked and there goes the meal.

Well I cannot be remiss this morning I must head to the shower and tidy the house in short order and be on my way.
The weekend is upon us so have a fun one, in the rain? Oh well could be worse. No tornadoes or snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment