Wednesday, May 28, 2014

KIELBASA POTATO CHOWDER

This is what I decided to make last night for dinner. Along with a stack of my oh so high biscuits with honey butter. I am going to post a photo of the biscuits and share the recipe. I have always wanted to make a great biscuit and never achieved that until recently. My mom always made high,light fluffy biscuits. I was never sure what recipe she used. I have tried dozens of biscuit recipes and finally came upon one that was not "to bad". So I took that recipe and changed it a tad. Instead of buttermilk I use sour cream and a little milk. I handle the dough lightly just a couple of turns to form a soft mound, then I roll it out thick. The recipe calls for an inch thick I cut them at approximately an inch and a half. So the recipe is suppose to yield 12 biscuits but instead I get 8-9. They raise high and perfectly golden in 12 minutes. They are light and tasty as they have a half stick of unsalted butter in them.
I have been making these particular biscuits now for a couple of years. I have mastered them!
"ZO'S SO HIGH SOUR CREAM BISCUITS".
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces, 1 cup sour cream and a little milk to make the dough come together.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Sift together (or whisk) the first six ingredients into a large bowl. 
Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add the sour cream and stir if dough does not form add a little milk until it does. 
Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead until smooth. (I knead only a few times as to not over work the dough it will make the biscuits tough.)
Roll out the dough approximately 1- 1/2 inches thick.
Using a biscuit cutter cut out the biscuits.
Gather scraps and roll out again and finish.
Transfer biscuits to a silicone mat on a baking sheet.
Bake until golden 12 minutes is perfect for my oven. Do not over bake them.
Serve warm.
A great biscuit I can contest to that!

I had one for breakfast warmed with honey butter. I had one for lunch with a piece of ham tucked inside. Hubby had one this morning warmed with a fried egg and melted cheese and hot sauce. We love our biscuits!

I have had a screwy day so far I hope that it is over.
I took the car out of the garage this morning and the gas gauge was on the red line. (hubby drove it last). Anyhow not to scold but what to do?  I had planned on driving across town to have the oil changed and also go to Trader Joe's as it is in the same complex. So I tabled that trip until tomorrow or Friday. As we get gas at Fred's I thought it made more sense to get gas and grocery shop today. But problem being I had not made out my menu for the week so thus no grocery list for Freddie's. It was nine-thirty and around here you need to get to that grocery store asap in the mornings or it gets crowded. So I know it takes me an hour to make the menu and list so that was not going to work. So what I decided to do was get gas as I had no choice, go get what I needed at Bi-Mart and Albertson's as all is in the same area. So that is what I did.
I got the kiddie pool at Bi-Mart yeah, now we have a foot pool for summer. I bought my usual array of items at Bi-Mart and then on to the Albertson butcher block where I buy my meat if I am not getting it at the meat market. As I was leaving the Albertson's check stand I could not find my keys. I had my purse that only has two compartments so it was not hard to see that they were not in either place. I asked the checker if they were one the counter, no she said. Well I started to search through my purse again and somehow it got turned upside down and everything spewed onto the floor at the end of the check stand. My wallet flew out so hard the latch that holds my change compartment popped open and change went rolling everywhere. Everyone is looking as I am scooping up things as quickly as I can. Not easy with all that change going every direction.
Finally all is thrown back in my purse but still no keys. So I am retracing my steps back to the meat area to see if I set them down on the butcher block counter there. No nothing, I asked the gal behind the counter. No I haven't seen them sweetie she said to me. I am now almost starting to panic. I had on a light weight jacket so I checked the pockets nothing but then I felt a bulge in my left jean pocket. Sure enough there were the keys. I never and I repeat never put my keys in my jean pockets. My jeans are always tight and my key chain with its many keys and key bob is large it would stick out like a lopsided growth on my hip. But for whatever reason or no reason I did.  I was so relieved I went and bought a megga bucks ticket I thought maybe it was my lucky day after all!

So I am back to my normal state now. I have had my lunch, checked my mail, finished the paper and now the blog.
When I am finished here I am going to walk. Hopefully that will go well. We are having some strange weather today. Quite pretty, then dark clouds, then a hard shower and then sunny again and on and on it goes. With what has happened already today perhaps I should take an umbrella.

Oh something else occurred today that throws me for a loop. As I was heading out the door this morning I went to my closet to grab my rose colored long hoodie coat. It is made of nice quality sweatshirt material and oh so cozy and comes to my knees one of my fave jackets. Well it is not in my closet, what? I looked in the hall closet, hubby's closet, the laundry hamper, the utility room drying rod, everywhere I could think of. The car, the truck, the travel trailer......Nota. Something like that always gets me going as I NEVER misplace anything whether it be clothing, kitchen items, hubbies undies.......whatever! So I started searching my mind as to when I wore it last. I cannot remember except that I had laundered it and when I wore it last I had to toss it into the dryer for a few minutes as I hang it to dry and there were a few wrinkles. The only thing I can come up with is a couple of weeks ago when we went to my sis-in-laws for dinner I may have taken it along to wear home as we walk to her house. Maybe I hung it in her guest closet as I do sometimes though it is usually so jammed in that closet and there are never any hangers so I may have skipped that and hung it over a chair. But if I did why hasn't she let me know? I called and left her a message today as she is working. So darn I am going to be really bummed if it does not show it as it is my favorite jacket and I have had it for a number of years and it is still like new.
Boo.

For dinner tonight I am making meatloaf. I have not made it since winter and hubby loves it. Also It will be a nice change for him for sandwiches for his lunch. 
Our kielbasa potato soup chowder was good as always. I made a small amount though enough for one meal with a little left over for a lunch for me or a snack for my husband.

Well off with the sandals and on with walkers, I am outta here!





No comments:

Post a Comment