Sunday, November 24, 2013

CONFUSED


Posted by PicasaOK. So what went wrong with the DUCKS?
Good grief, Stanford all over again only worse. Arizona had us from the get-go.
I really do not care anymore, burned out I suppose. We get so into it and watch the college shows on the weekend etc. Too much media hype, too much pressure, maybe not enough of the right kind of coaching? Who knows? Anyhow what will be, will be this next Friday. The Civil War is up for grabs as far as I see it.

I was just outdoors brrrr. Still cold but is warming up. By Thanksgiving day it will be ugly gray clouds once again, but we will be warmer which will be nice and better for our power bill.

So our slow cooker hot dogs and buns were a success. Nicely cooked wieners and warm soft buns. I will do that again sometime when we have a few folks over. Good way to grab a dog when you want one without the mess or effort.

Tonight we are having pork schnitzel. I have made this recipe a few times and we always enjoy it. It is a little time consuming and messy as it is a breaded affair, then fried, then you make a sauce out of the pan drippings. The sauce is very tasty with dill, chicken stock, sour cream, paprika etc. I am going to serve it with long grain rice so we can drizzle some of that sauce over the rice as well as the cutlets.
I have posted the recipe as well as a photo on this blog before, so will not repeat myself.

Only four days now and my son will be with us. Mike has a voice with lots of volume and he and my hubby talk over one another when they get animated. I just chuckle and do my thing in the kitchen, too much testosterone for me. Later after they have caught up I will be able to say something once in a while...... 

After the bird is hanging out in the oven for a while and the house starts smelling like Thanksgiving my heart gets so happy. It reminds me of Thanksgiving's past when my family would go to my parents house for the meal. My mother was a wonderful cook. Everything was always so delicious and presented so beautifully. There was always an array of various bake goods and yeast buns or sometimes biscuits. Her pretty green holiday dishes would be on the table, the same ones I use now. White linen napkins in triangles to the side holding her best silver. Crystal glassware and candles. All just so lovely.
I have always done the same. No matter how many folks I have it is a sit down dinner, not buffet. Extra tables yes but everyone sitting at a table that is decorated and festive. It means a lot to me to keep my Mother's tradition going.
When I was a child it was the same. No matter how many folks came to our humble home we sat down at some sort of table. If our dining table was not large enough plywood would be set over it and several table clothes would adorn it and all would sit down on an arrangement of chairs, stools, boxes or what have you.
Ah good memories and it makes me miss all those that have passed which is everyone in my immediate family except for my older brother. Such is life here today and gone tomorrow.
As I held my great granddaughter a couple of weeks ago those were the thoughts going through my head. Her life beginning and mine on it's slow exit(I hope).
I remember my grandson Tyson saying when he and Lindsey were here last year for Thanksgiving that he would continue to come year after year with his family. I know he would have loved to keep that promise this year but he could not get off work. He is young man who loves tradition. We will surely miss him and Lindsey(I adore that girl) and little Olivia on her first Thanksgiving. But they will be in our hearts as we sit to enjoy our meal.

I have written too much today, for that I am sorry. Sometimes I just go on. Even though I share this blog with a few others it is a journal more than anything. It brings me comfort and contentment when I read through past posts. In fact I think I will do that after I post this. I am curious as to what I wrote this time of year last year.

Have a lovely Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment