Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Mixed Berry Pie(made with frozen berries)

I felt I had to review this recipe.
I made my good homemade crust, followed the recipe perfectly.
Put in the oven to bake as directed and before ten minutes had passed I turned the oven light on to peek and good grief all my pretty fluted edges on the crust had fallen off as snipped off with scissors. WHAT?
The only thing I can contribute this too is. You use the berries frozen mixed with cornstarch and sugar, that is fine. Goes into a pie shell that has been chilled covered with another crust that has been chilled. You wash the top of the crust with egg wash and here is where I feel the problem lies. As the edge of the crust bakes faster than the wet pie top maybe it causes a crack around the edge and the fluted edges falls off.

Other than that I do not know. My pies are always nicely crimped no fault there. Everything was chilled as directed. So what? Bad recipe? That is what I am thinking.
I may try it again at some point thawing the berries first.

In retrospect this will probably taste fine though it looks weird. I should have made my "Best in the West Mixed berry cobbler". It is always a winner and so tasty every time.

Pumpkin pie is in the oven now and when that is finished I will get my yeast rolls in. 
A fun busy day in the kitchen. I will just ignore the berry pie serve it up with lots of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream pretending it is a free style pie. Is there such a thing? Laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment