Tuesday, November 26, 2013

SUNRISE ON OUR STREET THIS MORNING


Posted by PicasaI took this shot a little before seven this morning from my front door. It is amazing to see something this spectacular to start your day. I feel blessed.

I am going to have a great day I already know that. I am going to start some prep work for the Thanksgiving meal and also set my table and add a few festive touches to the house. I plan on going for a long walk after it warms up.
It is still cold and so brittle outside. But soon the air will gradually take on some of the suns warmth making it tolerable for a nice comfortable walk.

 I will start my Thanksgiving meal prep today by making my sweet dill pickles. I should have made them a few days ago but somehow I forgot about doing so.  Along with making the pickles today I will get my cranberry/orange relish made. That will leave my pumpkin and berry pie and rolls for tomorrow.
I have decided to try something different this year. I looked on line as I was wondering if I could make my dressing in the slow cooker. I thought if this were possible it would free up the oven and would make my life simpler. And yes as a matter of fact there are numerous recipes on the internet and the majority of folks say the dressing is delicious. It is moist with lots of flavor and makes your home smell amazing for hours.
So I am making my own sausage, apple, nut dressing with a few adjustments. I let you know how it works out. I will get the bird in the oven and then the dressing into the Crockpot as they both take about the same amount of time.

My turkey will be prepared as always in my kitchen. I will place inside the cavity a small bundle of rosemary and thyme from my herb barrel and couple of wedges of lemon. On the outside of my bird I will soften butter and slide my hands up under the breast skin and rub in as much butter as possible. Then on the skin I will rub a very small amount of olive oil over the entire bird. I will then make a rub of kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, paprika and a small amount of allspice and apply it to the turkey.  Then into the oven to do it's thing. I have an instant read thermometer so I will check the bird toward the end of it's roasting time to make sure it is cooked properly. I start out with the bird lightly covered in foil then the last couple of hours I remove the foil so the bird can get a crunchy golden skin. My hubby just loves a crisp skin. Very important to let the turkey sit after removing it from the oven for at least 20 minutes. I usually let is sit under a cap of foil for the 30 minutes before craving. It is a nice grace period as it allows me to do last minute things while the rolls are baking.  Like make the gravy and mashing the potatoes etc. It all gets very busy at this point in the meal, doesn't it? Oh and I am going to pull out my vintage electric knife this year. As neither hubby nor myself do anything but hack up a turkey.  I am going back to what I did in the past. I do a much better job with the electric knife than my knife that I sharpen and hone to do the job, which does not! Also my husband is not going anywhere near that bird to saw on it like you would a piece of wood. Well I should not be to hard on him he is a carpenter after all.

Well I am now ready to throw on some clothes and get on with my day. I feel excited today, maybe it was that illuminating sunrise this morning that charged me up. Whatever it is , I feel good and like I want to accomplish a lot today.
Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment