Saturday, May 18, 2013

APPELLLATION MOUNTAINS


Posted by PicasaI choose this photo of the Appellation Mountains because I have just read two books back to back by Lee Smith. 'Black Mountain Breakdown' was the first one I read and yesterday I closed the cover on 'Saving Grace'. Both of these books were incredibly good.
I was so swept up in the dialog that I am once again going around talking my deep south talk. Yes I do this!  It comes so easy and sounds so perfect it is quite remarkable. After several days of this I am in the grove so to say and just talk it without thinking and it will be hard to let it go.
I love to say Hidy instead of Hi like they do in the Appellations.
This last book Saving Grace was so compelling, real and tragic but still there were moments in this young girls life that were so hilarious because of the way she viewed her own life and those she shared it with in the mountains. I will save these books and read them again in a few years.

So today is Saturday and we are home together all weekend it has been since our vacation that this has happened. Hubby had so many things he wanted to do today but most were to occur outdoors and it is  showery and has been since we crawled out of our nest. So he has cleaned his garage and tidy'd his tools etc. I have my house chores done and it is early so the day spreads before us which is nice. We will let the weather led us and see how it unfolds. 
I am thankful for the moisture as each day now my  tired, raw, sore eyes are better.

I have my chuck roast in the slow cooker hanging out. However I am making it another way rather than the beef burgundy as I decided to use it tomorrow for mexican fare. So I seasoned the meat well and cut into chunks added red and green bell pepper, garlic and onions and a little ketchup water. I always save my ketchup bottles when there are few dredges left in the bottom and add a little water shake well and drizzle over my roasts etc. I will say ketchup is my secret weapon in quite a few dishes I prepare.
So tonight we will have this pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy and a salad with the all the veggies from the farm. I have some Italian dressing in the fridge but may make another type as well.

Enjoy your Saturday. I am off to enjoy mine, see ya all later.



No comments:

Post a Comment