Friday, May 3, 2013

BAKED POTATO HAM AND LEEK SOUP

Today I am preparing baked potato, ham and leek soup. I still have one small package of Easter ham tucked in the freezer and must use it up.
Soup sounds easy on the tummy and I cannot ignore the fact that I have almost twenty pounds of potatoes sitting in the pantry. Will I ever get through them? That is the question.
Here is what I do for this tasty potato soup. I make potato soup in about a half dozen ways depending on what I have in my pantry and fridge.

Select six large russet potatoes or more depending how large of a pot of soup you wish to make.
Bake the potatoes, cool, peel and cut into pieces. Set aside.
Dice pre-cooked ham set aside.
In the soup pot add a dollop of butter and drizzle of olive oil. Add 3 ribs diced celery and two leeks sliced white and light green parts only. Saute until celery is tender. Reduce the heat and add the diced ham, the potatoes. Add equal amounts of chicken stock and  half and half. Use as much or little as you like depending on how thick you like your soup.
Season with salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you prefer.  Slowly heat until all is hot and well melded. Do not scorch. 
Serve in deep bowls with a spoonful of sour cream  grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
I will serve with a hot crusty sourdough boule.

Our taco's last night were yummy. It was joint effort. I made the Louisiana red beans and rice and hubby made up the ingredients for the taco's. I browned the meat with onions and taco sauce and he fried the shells. Dinner was made in no time!

We were both very tired last night and went to sleep early. I was told I fell asleep sitting up with my mouth gaping open......good grief!
Hubby had worked hard on his two days off.  All the gravel was spread, all area's weeded, garage apron hosed and cleaned, lawns mowed and edged. A big day!
Today my husband is off installing a hickory hardwood floor and I am cleaning house and doing laundry and catching up on paper work. Feels like a Monday instead of a Friday.

It is a another stellar day here in Eugene. Woke to bright sun sneaking in through the slats of the wood blinds. So this afternoon I hope to do some more things outdoors. My bird houses need another coat of red paint as well the old milk can I keep on the back deck. And I must put new potting soil into the ceramic pot I place every summer on the front steps to hold the bright red zinnia's I plant.

So with all that to do I had better make haste.
Do have a lovely May 3rd. I love the month of May, the lush surroundings, the warmer weather and everything so fresh and newborn.
Till tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment