Sunday, May 26, 2013

VIETNAM MEMORIAL WALL


Posted by PicasaMy brothers name is not on this wall but it should be because he is a casualty of this war nonetheless.
He left a normal young man involved in his life, with a job, a girl friend and family and friends. He came back drug riddled, fearful, angry and changed.
I could not believe my eyes when I saw him for the first time after he returned from Vietnam. He was at least twenty pounds thinner, withdrawn, quiet, sick and so in need of family to help heal his spirit and heart.
He struggled from that point on in his life to stay away from drugs and alcohol but never quite managed to do so for any length of time.
In the end he died younger than he should have of a drug overdose.So no matter how you view it he was a casualty of this war.
After several years had passed after his death I wrote a song for him. I will share that with you now.

For James Arthur Nesbitt  
10-12-49 to 10-1-2001

Where are you my little brother?
Where are you I want to know?
Did you go to God's big heaven?
Or is there somewhere else to go?

Chorus:
Let me know if you can do that
is there somehow I could see?
That you're happy in your new life
Are you free?

Though the war you fought was futile
And the road you choose was hard
As you fought you're many demons
They beat you up and left you scared.

And it hurt so bad to lose you
And on the day I got that call
my heart shattered into pieces
There was no sense to it at all.

I always loved you little brother 
Did you know I felt that way?
Have you seen our dear sweet mother?
For your souls I daily pray.

Repeat Chorus.

This song is sad and the music that accompanies the words is the blues. I have played this song and sang the words for friends and family and it truly brings tears.
That was not my intention in writing the song I just wanted peace for my own heart and to honor my brother.

So on Memorial day tomorrow let us all pray for world peace. It is the only way to mend hearts and move forward and honor those we have lost.




No comments:

Post a Comment