Wednesday, June 18, 2014

CENTRAL OREGON

Though the clarity of this photo is not particularly good it a scene of the Deschutes river in Bend OR. This shot of our once home is taken from a street across the river. Our house is third from right, fourth from left. There is a trail that leads to the river from the house that connects with the river trail that takes you the mile or so to town. My husband and I walked this trail many times to town to have lunch and drinks or go to the park with a picnic. Now this all seems very idyllic but there are times when the wind along this trail freezes your wits as well as your body parts. And that can happen in summer as well as the other seasons. Usually there is a west wind sailing off the snow capped mountains straight to town.
Farther south in the Sunriver and La Pine areas the wind is no more. I am hoping that it will be pleasant when we are visiting my son in July. However where Mike lives is on the edge of the high desert so it is colder than other areas in the vicinity. No doubt about one thing the nights will be chilly, no air conditioning needed. You have to remember I lived in the La Pine area for seventeen years and in Bend for fifteen years for a total of thirty-two years. Central Oregon is beautiful and I always enjoy going back for visits.

So today I have been waylaid by phone calls. My daughter called and we were on the phone for an hour or more. Then I was talking with Comcast regarding our new box for the TV for another half hour. So now some of the daily chores are completed but not all.
I am going to run to the farm today for our weekly supply fresh veggies and fruit. I am going to get more strawberries as there are two shortcakes left. That has been such a luscious treat every evening. There is nothing better than juicy ripe Oregon strawberries. California berries in the grocery do not even compare. So I must have more of these addictive sumptuous little darlings before they are gone for the season.

Last night we played dinner by ear and wound up having patty melts with two kinds of cheese. We actually like a patty melt better than a grilled burger. They are juicer and greasier and just more tasty in our opinion. The grease may not be a desired effect for most folks but that is the way a good patty melt is, that good buttered sourdough bread becomes all crispy when fried and when you pick it up you have grease on your fingers. No matter it is finger licking good!

Tonight we will have healthier fare. I am preparing grilled shrimp in the grill basket. I will marinate them quickly(as not to get them too salty)in the Soyaki marinade then spray the grill pan and toss them in with some lemon chunks. Shake them around until pink and off they go to be tossed upon sticky rice and then scattered with scallions. To the side I will serve steamed asparagus with lemon butter. All the flavors just meld beautifully in our mouths. More strawberry shortcake for dessert :)

Well I am off to finish my daily chores and put my face on.....laugh and off to the farm. I always enjoy driving there as I have mentioned before a country road is right at the end of our street. I take that country road to River road about a half mile then turn right and in another few minutes I am to the first farm. That's it! So close and convenient and so pretty in farm country with the big sky and billowy clouds, no developments just a farm house and barn here and there and field after field of produce for our eating pleasure. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment