Sunday, June 15, 2014

VEGETABLES READY FOR THE OVEN

I have the vegetables ready for the oven.
This is what I used. Yukon gold potatoes unpeeled halved and quartered, red bell pepper, hatch pepper, shallots and frozen baby green beans.
This is what I did. After the veggies were chopped I added them to a large bowl and added olive oil to coat, kosher salt and cracked black pepper and sprinkled them about a tablespoon of with Herbs of Provence. I used a large baking sheet added a silicone baking sheet and arranged the vegetables on the pan. I baked at 400 degree's for 35-40 minutes.
What I should have done. The green beans I knew would be overdone but they turned out like cement french fries. I should have added them about halfway through. I normally do not use green beans but I had no other green veggie on hand. What works well is asparagus or broccoli but a couple of carrots adds flavor and orange color to the mix.
We always love roasted vegetables and they were a great accompaniment to the grilled chuck steak which tender and very juicy. A nice dinner we so enjoyed.

We have steak left so tonight I am going to morph it into carne asada taco's. 
This is what I will do. I will cube the meat and heat a cast iron to hot. Add a drizzle of oil to the bottom of the skillet and toss in the meat and fry them sizzling just to heat. They get crispy smokey taste this way.
Then I will make up the taco's. I bought home style corn shells which I will make soft crispy and into them will go the grilled steak, grated cheese, chopped onion and chopped cilantro. Hubby will drizzle his tacos with Salsa Bravo hot sauce and I will use Taco Sauce.
I am not making re-fried beans from scratch tonight I will instead open a can of pinto beans and rinse and drain them. I will add these to a pot and heat them with a little chicken broth. When heated I will then mash them rough with my potato masher so some beans remain whole and some are smashed. While doing this I will add a little milk as the beans begin to get dry when they are mashed. We do not like them to dry.
So this will be our dinner tonight. One that hubby will totally enjoy.

It is a relaxing Sunday for us. My husband worked a few hours this morning finishing up a job and like I mentioned I ran for a few groceries and to the farm for more strawberries. So now our to-do's are out of the way and we are in a laze about mode. That is what I love about Sundays. 
I need to search for my biscuit shortcake recipe as I have misplaced it but I can probably make them without the recipe. Basically my same good mile high biscuits but with a little more sugar.
We love strawberry shortcake on biscuits. I always slice my berries and add just a tad of sugar and cover them so they juice, if they are not as juicy as I like I mash them a little. Because biscuits can be a little drier than sponge or angel food cake the berries need that extra juice. And because of my lactose intolerance I cannot have real whipping cream so we will use Cool Whip. I am looking forward to that desert this evening while watching Next Food Network Star, always a fave show in this household.
Well now for sure I am out of here. I have posted twice today! Time to rest, laugh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment